Barcelona, Spain
| One of the beautiful gardens we looked at today |
| At the Olympic Stadium--"Telefonica" communications tower (art +utility) |
| An above ground cemetary |
| The Magic Fountain around 9pm--amazing how light it still is! |
Barcelona-13JUN12
Hi, everyone—thought we’d send you a note to let you know we
made it OK to Barcelona.
The flights to Memphis, Amsterdam, then Barcelona were long,
but Nancy tells me not nearly as long as the flights to and from Ethiopia. Not nearly as stressful, either. Which is good, because I’d hoped traveling
with me would be easier than traveling with an out-of-sorts year-and-a-half old
who hardly knew her!
We got to hear all the great languages, and are trying to
speak some Spanish here, too. Like my Korean from years ago, it sometimes gets
us into more trouble than it has the power to get us out of…but nothing negative
of consequence yet.
We checked into our hotel, noting small differences from
what I had previously understood. I had
THOUGHT we’d get free internet. Which
is, I suppose, true to the letter, but you just get thirty minutes free, then
you start paying. Still, it’s only 3
Euros an hour, which isn’t too bad. On
the plus side: breakfast is included, which had NOT been advertised. Bonus! That’ll
save some time on our way to see the sights.
The hotel’s proximity to the main part of the city also surprised me; I
had thought we were a bit farther out.
We ventured out after checking in this afternoon, and headed
toward Montjuic, an elevated area on the outskirts of the city, and walked down
the main avenue to a large traffic circle around Plaza d’Espanya, a beautiful
sculpture fountain made even more beautiful when I photographed Nancy before
it. We continued forward to the Palau (Palace)
Nacional and the Magic Fountain, wended our way through a bunch of gardens and
the Olympic area (from the 1992 summer Olympics), and got a little bit lost
before finding our way back to the Magic Fountain, where we sat on a park bench
holding hands and watching the choreographed water show.

2 Comments:
Glad to see Michael's traveling hat in action. While we've seen you wear several hats in these pictures, I that that one is our personal favorite. Looks like fun, "buen camino." (Guess you are quite close to the actual Camino right now).
6:01 AM
You didn't say any thing about that helpful nine-year-old on the "wonderful trip to Ethiopia". Gammy and Christian the Buen Camino to see where it was in Spain and what it meant. Hannah wants you to know that she loves you (I personally love you better). Love, Faith Brian also says, "love you".
5:41 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home